The more technical term for “magic” mushrooms or “’shrooms” is Psilocybin mushrooms. For our readers who may not know, these particular types of mushrooms are a type of hallucinogen drug that can either be eaten in their dried mushroom form or consumed as a white powder. The term “hallucinogen” means that taking this drug will cause a person to experience an altered sense of reality (also known as “tripping”). Keep in mind that hallucinations can range from intriguing and pleasurable to frightening and anxiety producing. The types of intense experiences that can accompany the use of hallucinogens can be physically and emotionally uncomfortable, and the memory can stay with the user for a long time. Flashbacks of “trips” can also be a common phenomenon of users of the drug.
In small amounts these mushrooms can bring on feelings of relaxation and physical distortion, such as feeling detached from one’s body, feeling as if one was observing him/herself, or seeing special images or arrangements of color and light. In large amounts, Psilocybin mushrooms can produce certain physical sensations, such as lightheadedness, shivering or sweating, nausea, and numbness of the tongue, lips and mouth. Regardless of the amount of the drug that is taken, some users will also experience an increase in blood pressure, heart rate and breathing. This drug can also change a person’s perception of time, making minutes feel like hours. Anxiety and fear can also be experienced by some users of Psilocybin mushrooms, making the various effects of this drug subsequently difficult to endure.
Psilocybin mushrooms do not generally cause dangerous physical reactions, and physical dependence and addiction are also unlikely to occur. However, it is important to remember that individuals will have different experiences with this drug based on a number of factors, including:
One of the most dangerous things about using Psilocybin mushrooms is that it is a very difficult variety of mushroom to identify in the wild and in its dried form. And taking the wrong kind of mushroom could cause severe health problems. There are other forms of fungi that look similar to Psilocybin mushrooms that can cause hallucinations, but these hallucinations are much more dangerous. In fact, taking a toxic mushroom by accident can actually be deadly. So keep in mind that in looking at what you think are “magic” mushrooms, you may be mistaken, the person who sold or gave them to you may also be mistaken as they try to assure you of what they are giving you. In other cases, some addicts have also talked about picking mushrooms from their own backyards and selling them to teens (especially at concerts) claiming they are Psilocybin mushrooms in order to make money to support their own drug habits. So you have to watch out for people trying to pass on what they say are “magic” mushrooms when in fact they just do not know, or they just do not care.
Another dangerous aspect of using Psilocybin mushrooms is that it is possible to soak these mushrooms in the liquid form of LSD, or to mix LSD with Psilocybin in its powdered form. This adds another dimension to using the drug, as LSD’s effects, though similar to “magic” mushrooms, last longer. In addition, drugs said to be LSD often contain other chemicals, such as strychnine (which is poisonous) or PCP (also known as “angel dust”), a very dangerous hallucinogen.
TeenHealthFX understands that it is very tempting for some adolescents to want to try certain drugs – to experience the effects first hand. And while some drugs certainly do have more risks with use than others, any use of illegal substances brings with it some kind of risk – and it is important to be aware and well-educated about those risks before exposing your body and mind to something that could be potentially harmful and dangerous to you.
If you need any other information on this drug or any other type of drug, you can do a search on this website or contact the National Institute on Drug Abuse & Alcoholism at 1-888-644-6432.