Painful Butt After Diarrhea
Published: April 10, 2003
I have had bad diarrhea for almost a week now, and as a result my butt has become really sore, it has also got a large painful swelling around it and feels worse if I sit down or walk, help, its really painful.
Signed: Painful Butt After Diarrhea
Dear Painful Butt After Diarrhea,
It is very important that you visit your healthcare provider as soon as possible to determine the cause of your diarrhea and to discuss treatments for the irritation around your rectum. Having diarrhea for several days can cause irritation or hemorrhoids from frequent bowel movements and constant wiping with toilet paper. You may also feel weak, dehydrated, and your body may miss important vitamins. Food poisoning, a virus, or even stress may cause the diarrhea so If you live in northern NJ and do not have a healthcare provider, call the Adolescent/Young Adult Center for Health at (973) 971-6475.
Here are some tips to help you feel more comfortable:
- Drink plenty of clear fluids (such as ginger ale, weak tea, and water) to stay hydrated without irritating your stomach
- Do not eat spicy or heavily seasoned foods
- Stay away from fats (fried foods) as well as raw fruits and vegetables, sweets, and alcohol, which may intensify symptoms
- Use baby wipes or soft toilet tissue to clean yourself following a bowel movement.
- Take a warm soothing bath without harsh soaps (which may irritate you even more)
Remember to get medical attention as soon as possible to deal with both the cause of the diarrhea and the irritation that it has caused.