Bookmark and Share

Scared I'll Lose My Scholarship

Published: May 14, 2012
Dear TeenHealthFX,
I'm a creative writing major at a university that's nationally recognized for its writing program, and commuting from my parents' home. I have a scholarship that pays for half my tuition (which is a lot), but I can only keep it if my grades in my creative writing classes are a certain way. I'm scared that I'll lose the scholarship, since I'm doing below mediocre at the moment.
Signed: Scared I'll Lose My Scholarship

Dear Scared I'll Lose My Scholarship,


TeenHealthFX can appreciate the pressure you are feeling with this, and has a few thoughts about how to handle this situation:

·         The first is to check in with your professors in the classes where your grades may put you at risk for losing your scholarship. You can talk with your professors about your grades and ask them for their thoughts about how you can improve them. FX also thinks it would be helpful for you to let your professors know that you need certain grades in order to keep your scholarship. Most professors will appreciate this kind of situation and will work with you on ways in which you can ensure your grades remain at the level needed to keep the scholarship – whether they give you some advice on how to raise your grades or give you the opportunity for extra credit or to do work over.

·         The second thing you can do is to discuss your concerns with your academic advisor at school. You are not the first person to be at school with a scholarship and to be worried about losing that scholarship if your grades fall below a certain level. He/she may have some suggestions as to what you can do to help keep your grades up and your scholarship in place.

·         Third, you are clearly feeling quite a bit of pressure and stress about this – understandably so. Sometimes when we are feeling stressed it can affect our work performance. If you think that the stress and anxiety you are feeling about this scholarship is negatively impacting your schoolwork, then consider speaking to someone about how to better handle your worries and concerns. You could speak to your parents, a professor at school, or you could even meet with a therapist (either privately or at your campus mental health center, if your school has one).

The main thing here is not to try and handle this on your own, but to reach out to the people around you for some guidance and support. So check in with your professors and academic advisor, and consider speaking to your parents or a counselor about how you are feeling about all of this so you can get the help and support you need.   

If you live in northern New Jersey and need help finding a therapist you can call the Access Center from Atlantic Behavioral Health at 888-247-1400. Outside of this area you can log onto the US Department of Health and Human Services Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration website for referrals in your area. You can also contact your insurance company to get a list of in-network mental health providers or check with your school social worker or psychologist to get a list of referrals in your area.

Signed: TeenHealthFX