Can Marijuana Cause ED?

Published: October 17, 2017
Dear TeenHealthFX,
I,m twenty eightin.and began smoking marijuana roughly five year ago and stop it for 1 month.My sex drive has been decreased and have ED Difficult. i found the good girl who Happiness is her deserving.i shoud Please her. can i gain the eriction again?
Signed: Can Marijuana Cause ED?

Dear Can Marijuana Cause ED?,

As you grow older, your penis begins to change. The nerves become get less sensitive, which can cause trouble with orgasm. Changes in sex organs are considered normal with aging.

Erectile dysfunction refers to the inability to maintain an erection that’s firm enough for sex, or for an erection at all. Causes of erectile dysfunction in young adults may include: fatigue, distraction, stress and intoxication.

You mentioned smoking marijuana. Recreational drug use can cause erection trouble. Drugs such as marijuana slow down the central nervous system, and can also damage the blood vessels. TeenHealthFX suggests that you continue on your marijuana-free pathway, as doing so may help to reduce erectile dysfunction. Additionally, marijuana can cause both physical and mental side effects, such as breathing problems, paranoia and increased heart rate.

If experience troubling quitting, resources are available. If you live in northern New Jersey and need help finding the right treatment facility you can call the Access Center from Atlantic Behavioral Health at 888-247-1400. Outside of this area you can log onto the US Department of Health and Human Services Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration website for referrals in your area. You can also contact your insurance company to get a list of in-network day treatment or rehab centers, or you can check with your school social worker or psychologist to get connected to the level of treatment that is currently right for you.

Creating lifestyle changes may also help to decrease erectile dysfunction. Some of these changes include: managing your blood pressure, quitting smoking, and increasing both exercise and sleep.  

If you continue to experience ongoing problems with erectile dysfunction, TeenHealthFX suggests scheduling an appointment with your local physician. He/she can assess your situation and suggest lifestyle changes, and/or prescribe medication if necessary. If you don't have a doctor and live in northern New Jersey, you can call the Adolescent/Young Adult Center for Health at 973-971-5199 for an appointment with an adolescent medicine specialist or contact your local teen health center or Planned Parenthood. A Planned Parenthood health center is a good option if you have concerns about cost or confidentiality issues. You can also contact your insurance company for a list of in-network providers.

Signed: TeenHealthFX