Epilepsy & Step Dad Beats Me

Published: November 29, 2017
Dear TeenHealthFX,
What happens if you go bad at school or if you have epilepsy and your parents don't let you get the phone or any electronic, then they hit you with the belt lots of times and gives you a mark. And my step dad hits me with the belt. Well the things that i told you happens to me . What should I do
Signed: Epilepsy & Step Dad Beats Me

Dear Epilepsy & Step Dad Beats Me,

TeenHealthFX is sorry to hear that you are experiencing these issues,  and reminds you that there are resources available to you. 

If TeenHealthFX is understanding correctly, you stated that you are struggling in school. FX suggests speaking with your school guidance counselor and/or principal. He/she can refer you to tutoring services that your school may provide. You can also visit the following online sites for tutoring assistance: 

You stated that you have epilepsy. It is important that persons with epilepsy receive proper medical care. TeenHealthFX suggests scheduling an appointment with your local physician. He/she may be able to refer you to an epilepsy specialist. You can also search for a local epilepsy foundation in your area. Most foundations will be able to provide information and referral assistance. FX suggests checking out the following resources for further information on epilepsy: 


If you don't have a doctor and live in northern New Jersey, you can call the Adolescent/Young Adult Center for Health at 973-971-5199 for an appointment with an adolescent medicine specialist or contact your local teen health center or Planned Parenthood. A Planned Parenthood health center is a good option if you have concerns about cost or confidentiality issues. You can also contact your insurance company for a list of in-network providers.  

Further, it is concerning for both your physical and emotional health that your step father is physically abusing you. Because of this, it is very important for you to reach out for help.  FX recommends contacting a trusted adult and informing them of your current home environment. You can tell a school counselor, teacher, private therapist, extended family member, neighbor, or parents of a friend – anyone who you see as trustworthy and someone who will act in a way that helps and protects you. Your adult of choice can refer you to a mental health professional such as a therapist.   

In addition to speaking with a trusted adult, TeenHealthFX recommends the following resources: 

  • Contact child protective services in your area. If you live in NJ, the agency is called DYFS and can be reached at 1-800-NJ-ABUSE. If you live outside of NJ, you can find the child abuse agency in your area in the phone book or online.  


  • Contact the Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-792-8610, 24 hours, 7 days a week. This hotline is for reporting physical or sexual abuse and to get help. 


  • Contact the Crisis Text Line (Text “Start” to 741-741; it’s free, confidential, and available 24/7) 


  • Contact the USA National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-422-4453 (24/7)  


If you live in northern New Jersey and need help finding a therapist you can call the Access Center from Atlantic Behavioral Health at 888-247-1400. Outside of this area you can log onto the US Department of Health and Human Services Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration website for referrals in your area. You can also contact your insurance company to get a list of in-network mental health providers or check with your school social worker or psychologist to get a list of referrals in your area. 

Signed: TeenHealthFX