How Do I Stop Comparing Myself To Others?
TeenHealthFX understands how hard it is not to compare yourself to those around you. It is a struggle most people deal with even into adulthood. Since so many teens use all sorts of social media apps like TikTok and Snapchat, it is understandable why you may feel this way. Especially when teens (and even adults!) only post what appears to be their highlight reel!
Take a minute and think about how you are feeling. Are you happy? Feeling good about yourself? We hope so! Now, take another minute and scroll through social media. How do you feel now? Like you can't catch up? Or that your life isn't as great? Unfortunately, this is very common, and the worst part is that the posts you are seeing are from other teens posting only the positive things they are experiencing. Not real life.
When you find yourself comparing yourself to others, keep in mind that no one knows what is happening behind closed doors. No one posts the negative things or feelings that he or she is going through.
The next time you find yourself comparing to others, consider the following:
- Realize that everyone is not perfect. What you are seeing on social media isn’t the whole picture.
- Accept yourself for you are and your worth. You ARE enough.
- Take a social media break.
- Look at your strengths – make a list. Not joking!
- When you find yourself comparing to others – STOP. Take a deep breath and think of 5 positive things in your life.