I Had A Hole In My Boot, Do I Have Parasites?!

Published: January 31, 2020
Dear TeenHealthFX,
Two weeks ago I was playing in the snow and got a hole in one of my boots. I had to walk through a few mud puddles to get back to my house. My foot was soaked, and I'm terrified that I have a parasite from walking in dirty water. I've heard about horrible microscopic bugs who live in mud and water and destroy human organs. Is there a blood test that can say for sure whether or not I have a parasite? Do all of them show up in blood?
Signed: I Had A Hole In My Boot, Do I Have Parasites?!

Dear I Had A Hole In My Boot, Do I Have Parasites?!,

Unfortunately, we cannot diagnose over the internet and answer your question with the information you have provided. However, depending on the size of the hole and whether you were wearing socks are huge determining factors.

Parasites that enter a body through exposed skin usually do so when a person is walking barefoot in a place known to have hookworms, or Strongyloides  present. If the hole in the boot was small and you were indeed wearing socks, there is very little chance a parasite got through.

If you experience cramping, upset stomach, diarrhea, or vomiting it would be a good idea to get checked out by a doctor. The CDC confirms that there are a few ways to test for parasites including a blood test if you suspect that you are infected with one.   


Signed: TeenHealthFX