Concerns About an Abscess Near My Anus

Published: July 09, 2017
Dear TeenHealthFX,
Hi, I'm a 25 years old male. around 3 years ago I had an abscess near my anus, I went to a doctor and he gave me some pills and injected me with some medicine and the abscess was drained hours later. Months ago I got the same thing again. It comes and it goes (drains) and it's embarrassing for me to go ask a doctor so I just lived with the pain hoping it will go away. Hours ago I started feeling a fever and my body was in pain. Hard painful swell was near my anus. I decided to drain it and I noticed that when I started pressing on the swell the abscess started draining through my anus. Right now I'm really worried. Please let me know what is that.
Signed: Concerns About an Abscess Near My Anus

Dear Concerns About an Abscess Near My Anus,

From what you have described it sounds like a pilonidal cyst. This type of cyst is more common in men and can start out as a cyst and then turn into an abscess. For some men, this is a chronic problem where the cysts routinely reoccur. As far as treatment, it can be drained with an incision and drainage technique by a doctor. A doctor can also perform a very minor surgical procedure where the cyst is removed.

Given you have fever, pain and most likely difficulty sitting, it is important for you to meet with a doctor so you can get a prescription for an antibiotic and a recommendation about the drainage route. Once this is on the mend, you could ask your doctor for a referral to a proctologist if your doctor thinks this is advisable or if you just want a second opinion.

TeenHealthFX can appreciate this feels embarrassing, but try to remind yourself that the doctors you will be meeting with about this deal with these types of issues all the time and are definitely not there to judge you in any way about it. In addition, it is important to try and put these feelings aside because the most important thing is for you to get treatment that will help you to heal and prevent things from getting worse.

If you don't have a doctor and live in northern New Jersey, you can call the Adolescent/Young Adult Center for Health at 973-971-5199 for an appointment with an adolescent medicine specialist or contact your local teen health center or Planned Parenthood. You can also contact your insurance company for a list of in-network providers.

Signed: TeenHealthFX