What is This Rash-Like Sensation?

Published: September 29, 2017
Dear TeenHealthFX,

I have this rash like sensation in the crack between my thigh and hooha area... I took a pic to get a better look and it's like a bump but it'€™s super sensitive, hard to the touch and painful....any ideas of what it may be

Signed: What is This Rash-Like Sensation?

Dear What is This Rash-Like Sensation?,

One possibility is that the bump is the result of an infected hair follicle. Women often get this in the perineal area. One way to treat this is by soaking the area in warm water. However, if it is not getting better after some soaks in a warm tub, then it may require antibiotics, in which case you would need to see a doctor.

Another possibility is an STD. If you are sexually active, then it could be due to herpes or genital warts. Herpes can be painful. Genital warts are usually not painful, but can look like a rash if there is a cluster of them. If you are sexually active, then a visit to the doctor would be a good idea so you can find out exactly what is causing the bump and rash-like sensation.  

If you don't have a doctor and live in northern New Jersey, you can call the Adolescent/Young Adult Center for Health at 973-971-5199 for an appointment with an adolescent medicine specialist or contact your local teen health center or Planned Parenthood. A Planned Parenthood health center is a good option if you have concerns about cost or confidentiality issues. You can also contact your insurance company for a list of in-network providers.

Signed: TeenHealthFX