Is It a Crime to Send or Receive Sex Videos?

Published: July 10, 2022
Dear TeenHealthFX,
Is it a crime if my ex sends me a video of him having sex with another girl? What can I do about it?
Signed: Is It a Crime to Send or Receive Sex Videos?

Dear Is It a Crime to Send or Receive Sex Videos?,

TeenHealthFX is sorry that your ex-boyfriend did that to you. Him sending you that video is unacceptable on many levels.  First, it is important to note that we are not law enforcement, and many laws depend on where you live. To obtain information and understanding of your situation, it is extremely important for you to reach out to a parent/guardian or trusted adult and to go to the police directly.

With that being said, this could be considered a crime. It could fall under more than one category including but not limited to sexual harassment additionally involving minor(s). 

The United States Department of Justice website has tons of information, here is a link that may provide some clarity: Obscenity (

This is a serious offense, and you should speak with a parent/guardian or other trusted adult about this as soon as possible.

It is always good practice to speak with a trusted parent or guardian on matters that are important to you, harmful to you, and worrisome. Keep an open line of communication to keep yourself and people you care about safe.

Here are some additional links and information that you may find helpful:

To report obscene material sent to a child, a misleading domain name or misleading words or images on the Internet, file a report on the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC)'s website at, or call 1-800-843-5678. Your report will be forwarded to a law enforcement agency for investigation and action.

To file a complaint about obscene or indecent material broadcast over the radio or television, contact the Federal Communication Commission (FCC) Consumer Complaint Center online at or by calling the FCC at 1-888-CALL-FCC (1-888-225-5322).

Signed: TeenHealthFX