Mom Just Hit Me

Published: November 09, 2017
Dear TeenHealthFX,
my mom just hit me for no reason. I told her I was about to take out the trash in a nice tone of voice. Then all of a sudden she said she was going to b*ch slap me until I was dead. and then I told her I wasn't trying to be rude and then she came up behind me and slapped me in the face when I tried to walk away she tried to do it again and I had to push her out of the way to leave the situation. Then I went in my room and I couldn't stop my panic attack for about 30 min. What do I do?
Signed: Mom Just Hit Me

Dear Mom Just Hit Me,

TeenHealthFX is very sorry that this situation occurred, and can understand the stress you are feeling as a result. It is concerning that your mother is hitting you and threatening your life verbally. Because of this, it is very important for you to reach out for help.  

FX recommends contacting a trusted adult and informing them of your current home environment. You can tell a school counselor, teacher, private therapist, extended family member, neighbor, or parents of a friend – anyone who you see as trustworthy and someone who will act in a way that helps and protects you. Your adult of choice can refer you to a mental health professional such as a therapist.  

If you are worried about how your mother might react to your telling someone about this (for example, that they would become violent with you), let the adult you are talking to know about this so that they can go about things in a way that protects your immediate and long-term safety. If the first adult you tell doesn’t listen or do anything, than keep telling people until someone does do something.  

As far as treatment, ideally it would be best for you to be in a combination of individual and family therapy, so that these issues can be addressed with your mother as well. The best possible scenario would be for both of you to be in treatment with your mother taking responsibility for her part in this and working towards change – that would promote the best possible healing for both of you. If this is not a possibility because your mother is too resistant to participate in treatment, then the next best thing would be for you to be in your own individual treatment.  

If you live in northern New Jersey and need help finding a therapist you can call the Access Center from Atlantic Behavioral Health at 888-247-1400. Outside of this area you can log onto the US Department of Health and Human Services Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration website for referrals in your area. You can also contact your insurance company to get a list of in-network mental health providers or check with your school social worker or psychologist to get a list of referrals in your area. 

In addition to speaking with a trusted adult, TeenHealthFX recommends the following resources:

  • Contact child protective services in your area. If you live in NJ, the agency is called DYFS and can be reached at 1-800-NJ-ABUSE. If you live outside of NJ, you can find the child abuse agency in your area in the phone book or online. 


  • Contact the Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-792-8610, 24 hours, 7 days a week. This hotline is for reporting physical or sexual abuse and to get help.


  • Contact the Crisis Text Line (Text “Start” to 741-741; it’s free, confidential, and available 24/7) or call the USA National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-422-4453 (24/7). 


Signed: TeenHealthFX