Worried I Have a Urinary Tract Infection

Published: December 13, 2016
Dear TeenHealthFX,
right so i was masturbating last night and this morning woke up and when i went to urinate, had a little stinging pain and then im feeling a little leakage too. im worried I have lower urinary tract , what do i do?
Signed: Worried I Have a Urinary Tract Infection

Dear Worried I Have a Urinary Tract Infection,

If ever you have a concern about an unexplained symptom (or set of symptoms) in your body, or you think you might be dealing with a specific medical condition, it is best to schedule an appointment with your primary care physician or an adolescent medicine specialist. Only by obtaining a history of the problem and completing a physical can a doctor provide you with an accurate diagnosis and a recommendation of any needed treatment.

A urinary tract infection (UTI) is an infection in any part of the urinary system such as the kidneys, ureters, bladder and urethra. A lower urinary tract infection affects the bladder and the urethra. The Mayo Clinic explains that urinary tract infections do not always cause signs and symptoms, but when signs and symptoms are present they can include:

  • A strong, persistent urge to urinate
  • A burning sensation when urinating
  • Passing frequent, small amounts of urine
  • Urine that appears cloudy
  • Urine that appears red, bright pink or cola-colored – a sign of blood in the urine
  • Pelvic pain, in women – especially the center of the pelvis and around the area of the pubic bone


If you continue to feel concerned about the symptoms you are experiencing, notice any worsening symptoms, or feel you could have a UTI based on your current experience and the symptoms listed above, then please schedule an appointment with a doctor so you can be properly diagnosed and treated. If you do have a urinary tract infection it would be important to meet with your doctor as antibiotics are usually the first line of treatment and your doctor would need to prescribe that for you.

If you don't have a doctor and live in northern New Jersey, you can call the Adolescent/Young Adult Center for Health at 973-971-5199 for an appointment with an adolescent medicine specialist or contact your local teen health center. You can also contact your insurance company for a list of in-network providers.

Signed: TeenHealthFX