14 and I Think I Might Have Knock Knees

Published: February 16, 2017
Dear TeenHealthFX,
Ok so im a 14 year old boy and I think I might have Knock Knee. So when I squat down it doesn't hurt or bend (They say it should)but my Legs look weird. When I do the test of seeing if you have Knock knees by making a v shape with your feet the Knees press together though. My thigh's are about 19 inchies in diamater and I don't know if thats effecting the shape. The point is I really am insecure about my legs. I just wish they were normal. I mean I'm not depressed or anything but its just a real drag. When I change in the locker room at school I hide from everone and change as fast as I can so nobody sees me i also can't wear any skinny jeans or shorts because people will see it. Do you know if there is a way to fix them without surgery? Any exercises? And if there aren't any exercises what do I do when I tell my parents? They don't know that I have knock knees because I always hide it. Are there any tips you could give me if i had to tell my parents? sign-Knock Knees-
Signed: 14 and I Think I Might Have Knock Knees

Dear 14 and I Think I Might Have Knock Knees,

TeenHealthFX recommends that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician or an adolescent medicine specialist as soon as possible to discuss this issue. Your doctor will most likely refer you to a pediatric orthopedist for a thorough evaluation of the situation and treatment recommendations. Anyone with 11cm or more between the ankles when the knees are touching needs an x-ray evaluation (scanogram) and possible growth guided procedure, which can only be done while children are still growing. If someone is bothered by knock knees it is important to meet with a doctor so that they can be evaluated for surgery given that knock knees can lead to the knees wearing out more quickly, as well as pain in the knees, legs, ankles and feet.

As for talking to your parents about it, you could tell them that you are concerned you have knock knees and you would like to meet with your doctor right away so that he/she can evaluate the situation. You could also give your parents a copy of this question and answer to get the conversation going. If your parents are hesitant to take you to the doctor, then FX recommends that you speak to your school nurse about it right away so that she can intervene on your behalf.

If you don't have a doctor and live in northern New Jersey, you can call the Adolescent/Young Adult Center for Health at 973-971-5199 for an appointment with an adolescent medicine specialist or contact your local teen health center. You can also contact your insurance company for a list of in-network providers.

Signed: TeenHealthFX