Urethra Irritated and Itchy From Antibiotics

Published: June 28, 2017
Dear TeenHealthFX,
My urethra has been getting easily irritated and itchy for months after taking amoxicillin. Will it always be like that now?
Signed: Urethra Irritated and Itchy From Antibiotics

Dear Urethra Irritated and Itchy From Antibiotics,

TeenHealthFX appreciates your concern for your health. FX cannot imagine that you are experiencing a reaction from amoxicillin due to the amount of time that has passed since you originally took the medicine. However, TeenHealthFX suggests you meet with your doctor who originally prescribed the amoxicillin, so he/she can properly assess the situation.

Several people experience discomfort in their urethra at some point in time. Common reports include, yet are not limited to: burning sensations, sharp pains and feelings of intense itch. There are several possibilities that may be causing the feelings of discomfort that you expressed, however, FX is unable to diagnose the exact cause based on the information you have provided.

First, the itching sensations you are experiencing may be an indication of a yeast infection, a common fungal infection that both men and women can experience. Yeast infections can be treated by purchasing over the counter antibiotics from your local pharmacy.

Another possible cause of your discomfort is a urinary tract infection (UTI), which is not a disease itself, but rather a “symptom of an infection whose origin can include bacteria, viruses, and protozoa.”  You did not indicate whether or not you are sexually active. Urinary tract infections can be passed from one partner to the next through sexual intercourse, and can also be the result of a sexually transmitted infection. However, a person does not need to be sexually active in order to develop a UTI.

FX recommends that you meet with your primary care physician or an adolescent medicine specialist. A doctor can examine the area and then give you an accurate diagnosis and let you know if any treatment is needed. We do not recommend that you try to make a self-diagnosis and/or treat the irritated area on your own, as it could do more harm than good.

If you don't have a doctor and live in northern New Jersey, you can call the Adolescent/Young Adult Center for Health at 973-971-5199 for an appointment with an adolescent medicine specialist or contact your local teen health center or Planned Parenthood. A Planned Parenthood health center is a good option if you have concerns about cost or confidentiality issues. You can also contact your insurance company for a list of in-network providers.

Signed: TeenHealthFX