See Things And Hear Things That Aren't Really There

Published: May 14, 2012
Dear TeenHealthFX,
Am I crazy? (literly) I see things that arent there and I here voices when Im alone but no one takes me seriously.
Signed: See Things And Hear Things That Aren't Really There

Dear See Things And Hear Things That Aren't Really There,


Hearing voices that are not really there (auditory hallucinations), and seeing things that are not really there (visual hallucinations), can result from various mental illnesses, substance use or even certain medical conditions. Having auditory or visual hallucinations does not mean that you are “crazy,” but it does mean that visits to your doctor and to a mental health professional are warranted so you can find out what exactly is causing these hallucinations and so you can learn what treatment options would be most effective for you based on the diagnosis you are given.   

FX appreciates that it must be very scary for you to see things and hear voices that are not really there. But know that there are treatments that can help to address these symptoms. Talk to your parents about what you have been experiencing so that appointments can be set up with your doctor and a mental health professional as soon as possible so you are not dealing with this alone and so you can get the help and support you need. If you find that your parents continue not to take you seriously about this, then speak to your school nurse or counselor and ask for their help in talking to your parents about this and in getting consultations with medical and mental health professionals set up for you.

For more information about hallucinations, and to read some questions from other teens with similar experiences as you are having, look at some of the questions posted under Emotional Health: Psychosis & Psychotic Disorders.


If you live in northern New Jersey and need help finding a therapist you can call the Access Center from Atlantic Behavioral Health at 888-247-1400. Outside of this area you can log onto the US Department of Health and Human Services Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration website for referrals in your area. You can also contact your insurance company to get a list of in-network mental health providers or check with your school social worker or psychologist to get a list of referrals in your area.

If you don't have a doctor and live in northern New Jersey, you can call the Adolescent/Young Adult Center for Health at 973-971-6475 for an appointment with an adolescent medicine specialist or contact your local teen health center. You can also contact your insurance company for a list of in-network providers.

Signed: TeenHealthFX