Voices In My Head That Are Scaring Me

Published: November 17, 2014
Dear Voices In My Head That Are Scaring Me,

I am a female college student. There are voices in my head that aren't mine. They're not loud and overwhelming and while they sometimes occur during the day if my depression (I've struggled with depression for about four years now) gets really bad, they don't normally begin to talk until it's nighttime. There's 1 main voice and he's the one that speaks to me coherantly (he screams at me and tells me terrible things). There other voices are more muffled and just laugh at me or scream. It's terrifying, but I live with it. I'm scared to get help for two reasons: 1. the fact that I can still live with it. I feel like there are other people having complete psychotic breaks and really need the help and I am afraid that I am just making a big deal of something in my imagination that could be easily fixed without taking up the precious time of a doctor. They feel real, but I know they're not. And 2. If I go for help, the main voice will be very angry and he'll scream and hurt me. I don't know what to do.

Dear Voices In My Head That Are Scaring Me,

TeenHealthFX thinks that it is important for you to meet with a reputable therapist, such as a clinical social worker or clinical psychologist, so that these issues can be addressed. Your therapist might also recommend a consultation with a psychiatrist who can assess whether you would benefit from taking psychotropic medications.

FX can appreciate that it may feel difficult and scary to reach out for help, however, we feel it is important you do so for the following reasons:

  • You should not have to live with something that is terrifying to you.

  • If you are dealing with any kind of psychosis, you will need the help of mental health professionals to effectively address these issues.

  • As long as these issues are important to you, you are not wasting any therapist’s time.

So please reach out for help as soon as possible. There are mental health professionals who can help with this.

If you live in northern New Jersey and need help finding a therapist you can call the Access Center from Atlantic Behavioral Health at 888-247-1400. Outside of this area you can log onto the US Department of Health and Human Services Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration website for referrals in your area. You can also contact your insurance company to get a list of in-network mental health providers or check with your school social worker or psychologist to get a list of referrals in your area.