What Happens When Psychotic People Use Drugs Like Acid And Weed?

Published: May 06, 2015
Dear What Happens When Psychotic People Use Drugs Like Acid And Weed?,

What happens to psychotic people on different drugs like acid and weed?

Dear What Happens When Psychotic People Use Drugs Like Acid And Weed?,

Studies have shown that marijuana can increase anxiety and psychosis in certain people. LSD (d-lysergic acid diethylamide), also known as acid, can cause users to react with paranoia, delusions, and psychotic features. These affects can be particularly problematic for people with psychotic disorders who are already dealing with these types of symptoms.

Substance abuse, including LSD and marijuana use, can negatively impact the effectiveness of treatment in people with various psychotic disorders for the following reasons:

  • It can exacerbate or worsen existing symptoms.

  • It can interfere with the effectiveness of psychotropic medications.

  • It can reduce the likelihood of following through with treatment plan recommendations of doctors and mental health professionals.  

If you have any questions or concerns about this topic, it would be important to discuss this with your doctor and/or mental health provider. Depending on the type of psychotic symptoms, what is causing the psychosis, and whether any medication is being taken to address these issues, your doctor will be able to give you more precise information about the risks associated with using acid and/or marijuana under the specific conditions you describe. You should also be able to get that information from your school health teacher or school nurse.

If you don't have a doctor and live in northern New Jersey, you can call the Adolescent/Young Adult Center for Health at 973-971-5199 for an appointment with an adolescent medicine specialist or contact your local teen health center. You can also contact your insurance company for a list of in-network providers.

If you live in northern New Jersey and need help finding a therapist you can call the Access Center from Atlantic Behavioral Health at 888-247-1400. Outside of this area you can log onto the US Department of Health and Human Services Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration website for referrals in your area. You can also contact your insurance company to get a list of in-network mental health providers or check with your school social worker or psychologist to get a list of referrals in your area.

For more general information, read the NIDA (National Institute on Drug Abuse) articles on Marijuana and DrugFacts: Hallucinogens – LSD, Peyote, Psilocybin, and PCP