Should I Leave Home and Live With My Boyfriend?

Published: February 02, 2017
Dear TeenHealthFX,
so my boyfriend is moving to a new city same state and his mom has invited me to come stay with them anytime. I am17 and emaciated, i want to go later but idk how I feel about leaving my family, I had planned on coming back after ive had some time to be with him but idk how my mom/dad/sibblings would feel, I hope they wouldn't get depressed or anything. I don't want to call them enough for them to find out where I am. they would cone get me in a jiffy! also he said that he also wants to get emancipated, and we can leave together. does that part sound in any way fugitive or bad or anything like that? i know it sounds like a "young and dumb" story. i hate that it does. should I leave?
Signed: Should I Leave Home and Live With My Boyfriend?

Dear Should I Leave Home and Live With My Boyfriend?,

TeenHealthFX is not in a position to tell you whether or not you should leave to be with your boyfriend. That is something that you must decide. However, we think it is very important for you to come to a decision only after taking some time to process it with a trusted adult. There are some important questions to ask yourself: What is going on in the relationships between you and your family members that you are considering leaving them to be with your family members, as well as not discussing it with them? What are your plans about continued schooling or work? What will day to day life be like living with your boyfriend and his mother? How will you be supporting yourself financially if you live with them?

These are just some of the many things to consider and discuss with someone you trust as you make this decision. You could speak to a counselor at school or even a private therapist so that you have someone who can provide you with the support and guidance you need right now so that you can make a healthy decision for yourself with this situation.   

If you live in northern New Jersey and need help finding a therapist you can call the Access Center from Atlantic Behavioral Health at 888-247-1400. Outside of this area you can log onto the US Department of Health and Human Services Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration website for referrals in your area. You can also contact your insurance company to get a list of in-network mental health providers or check with your school social worker or psychologist to get a list of referrals in your area.

Signed: TeenHealthFX